The Whatever Thread

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Arikus on Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:43 pm

XD No, why would I do that?
avatar
Arikus

Title : Resourcerer
Aquarius Horse
Posts : 58
Points : 2720
Age : 27
Location : Insanity Ward

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  PapiChuloLeon on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Arikus wrote:XD No, why would I do that?
Show it girls you like.
avatar
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover
Posts : 660
Points : 3690
Location : Seattle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Arikus on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Trolltaly! That sounds like a great idea.
avatar
Arikus

Title : Resourcerer
Aquarius Horse
Posts : 58
Points : 2720
Age : 27
Location : Insanity Ward

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  PapiChuloLeon on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Arikus wrote:Trolltaly! That sounds like a great idea.
You can tell them the eye damage was from a fight you were in to protect your kid sister.
avatar
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover
Posts : 660
Points : 3690
Location : Seattle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  StarFireSong on Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Alrighty... Question for all the lovely knowledgeable drinkers here: What is a good dry white wine SUBSTITUTE? I have a recipe that calls for dry white wine in a bolognese sauce, & I'm looking for a decent substitute that I can use instead of the wine.

Thoughts/opinions/suggestions are very much welcome.

StarFireSong

Posts : 151
Points : 2816

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Dr. ARM on Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:16 pm

StarFireSong wrote:Alrighty... Question for all the lovely knowledgeable drinkers here: What is a good dry white wine SUBSTITUTE? I have a recipe that calls for dry white wine in a bolognese sauce, & I'm looking for a decent substitute that I can use instead of the wine.

Thoughts/opinions/suggestions are very much welcome.

White grape juice (unsweetened, in it's purest form) or white vinegar.
avatar
Dr. ARM
Admin

Title : Mad Scientist
Virgo Horse
Posts : 115
Points : 2826
Age : 27
Location : Aristocratic Regal Mansion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  lilith on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Are you avoiding alcohol altogether? If not, I've used sake before (which worked) for some pasta dish, which had shrimp in it.
avatar
lilith

Cancer Cat
Posts : 289
Points : 3019
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://reactorfire.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  StarFireSong on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks, ARM. Would regular white grape juice (i.e., the frozen juice concentrates) work as well if I reduce the amount it calls for in my sauce by half? (The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of dry white wine.)

Clare, I'm not avoiding alcohol... I just don't drink. I've never been interested in drinking. I have sipped some liquors, don't get me wrong, & I very rarely enjoy a wine cooler, but there's no allure in drinking to me.

StarFireSong

Posts : 151
Points : 2816

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Dr. ARM on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:34 pm

StarFireSong wrote:Thanks, ARM. Would regular white grape juice (i.e., the frozen juice concentrates) work as well if I reduce the amount it calls for in my sauce by half? (The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of dry white wine.)

Clare, I'm not avoiding alcohol... I just don't drink. I've never been interested in drinking. I have sipped some liquors, don't get me wrong, & I very rarely enjoy a wine cooler, but there's no allure in drinking to me.

It could... but I don't know if it would be the same. White wine is sweet and a touch tart.

If alcohol is the only factor, you could always buy alcohol-free wine.
avatar
Dr. ARM
Admin

Title : Mad Scientist
Virgo Horse
Posts : 115
Points : 2826
Age : 27
Location : Aristocratic Regal Mansion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Arikus on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Dr. ARM wrote:
StarFireSong wrote:Thanks, ARM. Would regular white grape juice (i.e., the frozen juice concentrates) work as well if I reduce the amount it calls for in my sauce by half? (The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of dry white wine.)

Clare, I'm not avoiding alcohol... I just don't drink. I've never been interested in drinking. I have sipped some liquors, don't get me wrong, & I very rarely enjoy a wine cooler, but there's no allure in drinking to me.

It could... but I don't know if it would be the same. White wine is sweet and a touch tart.

If alcohol is the only factor, you could always buy alcohol-free wine.

I'm fairly certain that the alcohol will cook out like it does with baking.
avatar
Arikus

Title : Resourcerer
Aquarius Horse
Posts : 58
Points : 2720
Age : 27
Location : Insanity Ward

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  StarFireSong on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:41 pm

ARM, since you say white wine is sweet & a little tart... The closest comparison I can think of is sparkling white grape juice, which has that sweet/tart taste. Whether or not sparkling white grape will work, I suppose that'll be a question left up to the cooking gods.

Spoiler:
*sigh* Sorry if this comes across as rude or something. I get this a lot so I tend to be very defensive when I answer because most people can't fathom why I don't drink, even though I explain it to them. Then they look at me as though I've grown 2 heads, & they tend to become very uncomfortable when they're around me, if they choose to drink. (If they drink, I'll ask for a sip just to see how it tastes (only if I know them REALLY well), & be on my way.) I don't judge people for their choices, yet I'm judged for mine.

*****

Whether something has alcohol or not has no bearing in my decision. I don't drink because I've never had an interest in drinking. The last time I drank, I was with my cousin at her apartment 2 years ago. The reason I did was because I wanted to know what each thing she had tasted like. I literally had a sip or 2 of each drink & that's it. The only thing I actually finished off were the wine coolers, & those took me 2 days to finish. (I had 2 bottles of those, so I finished 1 each day.)

My 21st birthday was spent with my family at a restaurant. My parents "embarrassed" me by telling the waitress it was my birthday, so they got the staffers to sing their birthday song to me. (I was beet red for an hour afterward, lol.) I didn't do the traditional pub crawl. My parents asked if I wanted to in the days leading up to my 21st birthday & I told them I wasn't interested; that I preferred spending the day with my family. As I've said before, my birthdays are a low-key celebration, & I prefer it that way. I don't like the big to-dos that most everyone else does. It's the right choice for them to make a bash out of it, but it's not for me.

Likewise, I've never gotten drunk & see no reason to. I've drank enough to notice the "buzz" & that's when I stop. Honestly, most of the drinks out there I find absolutely disgusting. The ones that I don't find completely repulsive are the "light" drinks (the wine coolers I mentioned earlier).

& it's not just me that feels this way. I have several friends who feel the same way I do. It's nice to know that I CAN drink if I want to, but I don't go so far as to actually keep it on hand.

*****

I'm well aware that alcohol burns off when you cook it. I'm asking because I'm trying to save money by using a substitute instead of buying a decent bottle of white wine that'll be shoved in the back of the fridge, never to be touched again--& I mean that literally.


...I'll stop here because I keep editing the post, lol. Let the flaming begin... NOW!


Last edited by StarFireSong on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

StarFireSong

Posts : 151
Points : 2816

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  mi-cuit on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Also, the calories are so not worth it.
avatar
mi-cuit
Moderator

Cancer Cat
Posts : 172
Points : 2900
Age : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:34 pm

StarFireSong wrote:ARM, since you say white wine is sweet & a little tart... The closest comparison I can think of is sparkling white grape juice, which has that sweet/tart taste. Whether or not sparkling white grape will work, I suppose that'll be a question left up to the cooking gods.

Spoiler:
*sigh* Sorry if this comes across as rude or something. I get this a lot so I tend to be very defensive when I answer because most people can't fathom why I don't drink, even though I explain it to them. Then they look at me as though I've grown 2 heads, & they tend to become very uncomfortable when they're around me, if they choose to drink. (If they drink, I'll ask for a sip just to see how it tastes (only if I know them REALLY well), & be on my way.) I don't judge people for their choices, yet I'm judged for mine.

*****

Whether something has alcohol or not has no bearing in my decision. I don't drink because I've never had an interest in drinking. The last time I drank, I was with my cousin at her apartment 2 years ago. The reason I did was because I wanted to know what each thing she had tasted like. I literally had a sip or 2 of each drink & that's it. The only thing I actually finished off were the wine coolers, & those took me 2 days to finish. (I had 2 bottles of those, so I finished 1 each day.)

My 21st birthday was spent with my family at a restaurant. My parents "embarrassed" me by telling the waitress it was my birthday, so they got the staffers to sing their birthday song to me. (I was beet red for an hour afterward, lol.) I didn't do the traditional pub crawl. My parents asked if I wanted to in the days leading up to my 21st birthday & I told them I wasn't interested; that I preferred spending the day with my family. As I've said before, my birthdays are a low-key celebration, & I prefer it that way. I don't like the big to-dos that most everyone else does. It's the right choice for them to make a bash out of it, but it's not for me.

Likewise, I've never gotten drunk & see no reason to. I've drank enough to notice the "buzz" & that's when I stop. Honestly, most of the drinks out there I find absolutely disgusting. The ones that I don't find completely repulsive are the "light" drinks (the wine coolers I mentioned earlier).

& it's not just me that feels this way. I have several friends who feel the same way I do. It's nice to know that I CAN drink if I want to, but I don't go so far as to actually keep it on hand.

*****

I'm well aware that alcohol burns off when you cook it. I'm asking because I'm trying to save money by using a substitute instead of buying a decent bottle of white wine that'll be shoved in the back of the fridge, never to be touched again--& I mean that literally.


...I'll stop here because I keep editing the post, lol. Let the flaming begin... NOW!

I don't drink and I feel the same way. I don't have a problem with those that do (socially...and otherwise) but I just choose not to. I am not on a soapbox nor do I have anything against it, it's just not my thing. I'll sip a drink if I'm out and my wife has one. I did have a few Jager (sp?) shots while camping earlier this year. It was fun and relaxed me a little. I'm a pretty uptight person the last few years (job & relationship stress, with a little "teenage son" drama thrown in)

Guest

Title : Master of All
Taurus Dog
Posts : 106
Points : 2797
Age : 47
Location : a little SW of the map balloon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  lilith on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 am

StarFireSong wrote:ARM, since you say white wine is sweet & a little tart... The closest comparison I can think of is sparkling white grape juice, which has that sweet/tart taste. Whether or not sparkling white grape will work, I suppose that'll be a question left up to the cooking gods.

Spoiler:
*sigh* Sorry if this comes across as rude or something. I get this a lot so I tend to be very defensive when I answer because most people can't fathom why I don't drink, even though I explain it to them. Then they look at me as though I've grown 2 heads, & they tend to become very uncomfortable when they're around me, if they choose to drink. (If they drink, I'll ask for a sip just to see how it tastes (only if I know them REALLY well), & be on my way.) I don't judge people for their choices, yet I'm judged for mine.

*****

Whether something has alcohol or not has no bearing in my decision. I don't drink because I've never had an interest in drinking. The last time I drank, I was with my cousin at her apartment 2 years ago. The reason I did was because I wanted to know what each thing she had tasted like. I literally had a sip or 2 of each drink & that's it. The only thing I actually finished off were the wine coolers, & those took me 2 days to finish. (I had 2 bottles of those, so I finished 1 each day.)

My 21st birthday was spent with my family at a restaurant. My parents "embarrassed" me by telling the waitress it was my birthday, so they got the staffers to sing their birthday song to me. (I was beet red for an hour afterward, lol.) I didn't do the traditional pub crawl. My parents asked if I wanted to in the days leading up to my 21st birthday & I told them I wasn't interested; that I preferred spending the day with my family. As I've said before, my birthdays are a low-key celebration, & I prefer it that way. I don't like the big to-dos that most everyone else does. It's the right choice for them to make a bash out of it, but it's not for me.

Likewise, I've never gotten drunk & see no reason to. I've drank enough to notice the "buzz" & that's when I stop. Honestly, most of the drinks out there I find absolutely disgusting. The ones that I don't find completely repulsive are the "light" drinks (the wine coolers I mentioned earlier).

& it's not just me that feels this way. I have several friends who feel the same way I do. It's nice to know that I CAN drink if I want to, but I don't go so far as to actually keep it on hand.

*****

I'm well aware that alcohol burns off when you cook it. I'm asking because I'm trying to save money by using a substitute instead of buying a decent bottle of white wine that'll be shoved in the back of the fridge, never to be touched again--& I mean that literally.


...I'll stop here because I keep editing the post, lol. Let the flaming begin... NOW!

Probably everyone here understands why some people don't drink. I have a couple of friends who don't and it's still fun to go out with them. I'm wondering if me asking if you were avoiding alcohol altogether is what sparked the big spoiler entry or you were clearing it all out of the way before there was a discussion about it (but I meant if you were avoiding alcohol altogether in the recipe...) =P
avatar
lilith

Cancer Cat
Posts : 289
Points : 3019
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://reactorfire.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  StarFireSong on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:10 pm

LOL, mi-cuit! Good point. Razz

bugdust wrote:I don't have a problem with those that do (socially...and otherwise) but I just choose not to. I am not on a soapbox nor do I have anything against it, it's just not my thing.

Exactly. Smile

lilith wrote:Probably everyone here understands why some people don't drink. I have a couple of friends who don't and it's still fun to go out with them. I'm wondering if me asking if you were avoiding alcohol altogether is what sparked the big spoiler entry or you were clearing it all out of the way before there was a discussion about it (but I meant if you were avoiding alcohol altogether in the recipe...) =P

Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding then. I'm avoiding alcohol for the reason I described in my spoiler: I don't want to buy a wine, use it for the recipe, & then stick it in the fridge where I'll never touch it. It's a waste of money that way. If there's a way to use, say, sparkling white grape juice (or unsweetened white grape, etc.) instead, I'm much more likely to drink & use the juice than I am to let it sit in the fridge for months untouched. For me, I'm looking at it more from the POV of "Will I use it? Am I just going to toss it out at the end of the month (or year)? Am I saving money or wasting it?" Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, if I lived with someone who liked to drink, I'd buy the bottle & let them drink it. Since I don't, there's no point in buying the wine.

If so, that's a relief. I have several friends who, when I'm out with them, will avoid drinking because they're afraid of making me uncomfortable. Really, it doesn't bother me. Just don't ask me to drive you home because I don't have a license.

It was a combination of factors that made me write what I did in the spoilers. (Arikus pointing out that alcohol burns off while cooking, & the fact that I felt like people were wondering why I was asking for a good wine substitute & thinking I was nuts for asking about one, lol.) I wanted to clarify before it turned into a whole discussion about why people choose not to drink. There's a lot of false assumptions made when people hear of others that don't drink, & I wanted to put it out there before I had to go through & "clean up" the mess others left behind.

StarFireSong

Posts : 151
Points : 2816

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  lilith on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Same thing with vegetarianism. I have a Cancer friend who keeps telling everyone that she doesn't mind if we eat a hamburger in front of her as long as we don't make her eat it.
avatar
lilith

Cancer Cat
Posts : 289
Points : 3019
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://reactorfire.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Monty on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Party time.
avatar
Monty

Leo Monkey
Posts : 213
Points : 2951
Age : 25
Location : Chichester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  PapiChuloLeon on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Monty wrote:Party time.
Do I use my current avatar or this one?
avatar
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover
Posts : 660
Points : 3690
Location : Seattle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Dinny on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:53 am

This news is going in the whatever thread because I feel conflicted.

Good News: A semi-good friend of mine (to stipulate: good terms, same interests, but had no classes together and so seldom spoke after 10th grade) came out about being a lesbian yesterday and it was extremely well-received.

Bad News: I had a crush on her from about early 2006 - late 2008. I could have had it! I'd have dumped Jaime's ass for her any day of the week. But, as usual, Dr. ARM > everyone. No contest. But still, no one expected this.

Edit: And in case anyone was wondering, she's a Sag (on the cusp of Scorp).
avatar
Dinny
Admin

Title : Edible
Virgo Goat
Posts : 501
Points : 3414
Age : 26
Location : Dr. ARM's Laboratory

View user profile http://dark-insane-ninja.atspace.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Monty on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:54 am

Dinny wrote:This news is going in the whatever thread because I feel conflicted.

Good News: A semi-good friend of mine (to stipulate: good terms, same interests, but had no classes together and so seldom spoke after 10th grade) came out about being a lesbian yesterday and it was extremely well-received.

Bad News: I had a crush on her from about early 2006 - late 2008. I could have had it! I'd have dumped Jaime's ass for her any day of the week. But, as usual, Dr. ARM > everyone. No contest. But still, no one expected this.

Damn, what a waste. Laughing
avatar
Monty

Leo Monkey
Posts : 213
Points : 2951
Age : 25
Location : Chichester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  MKing on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:47 am

She's a cutie. Her eyes reminds me of Dinny's, so big and animated looking. There gorgeous.

What does the name Kit suppose to be short for? This girl told me her name was Kit, but I forgot to ask what is that short for, I was thinking Kelly for whatever reasons.
avatar
MKing

Capricorn Tiger
Posts : 397
Points : 3186
Age : 30
Location : Center of The Stage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  PapiChuloLeon on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Damn, Tiger's wife is getting a 9 digit payday just for being his wife for 6 years. That's robbery. Marriage is a fool's game.
avatar
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover
Posts : 660
Points : 3690
Location : Seattle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Monty on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:40 pm

I want to take action with anger issues and I thought about doing a martial art of some form. Can anyone recommend something at all? Smile
avatar
Monty

Leo Monkey
Posts : 213
Points : 2951
Age : 25
Location : Chichester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  PapiChuloLeon on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Monty wrote:I want to take action with anger issues and I thought about doing a martial art of some form. Can anyone recommend something at all? Smile
You should try REAL fighting arts like Aikido, Wing Chun, Tae Kwon Do, etc. Lots of fat white kids love it. They actually teach you how to kill people and be prepared for street fights unlike boxing. STICK TO THE MARTIAL ARTS! Very Happy
avatar
PapiChuloLeon

Title : Cat Lover
Posts : 660
Points : 3690
Location : Seattle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  mi-cuit on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:24 am

Do any of those have a reasonably friendly learning curve?
avatar
mi-cuit
Moderator

Cancer Cat
Posts : 172
Points : 2900
Age : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whatever Thread

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum